- This event has passed.
Shinrin Yoku – Forest Bathing & Sauna
February 19 @ 3:00 pm - 7:00 pm
612 Sauna Society Cooperative and Motz Studios have teamed up to offer a special Forest Bathing (Shinrin Yoku) & Sauna Session at the Trailhead at Theodore Wirth Park in Minneapolis. Sauna sessions are open to everyone!
Join us on an immersive, meditative, and awe-inspiring Japanese forest bathing experience (Shinrin Yoku). Feel nature’s fractals, sounds, and sensations reduce your stress and anxiety, and enhance your focus. Give yourself permission to slow down and connect your senses to the healing beauty of our metro area’s green forested spaces.
About Motz Studios:
David Motzenbecker founded Motz Studios Forest Bathing Experiences in 2018. He is an ANFT-Certified Forest Therapy Guide, Forest Therapy Trail Certification Consultant, and award-winning Landscape Architect practicing locally and globally since 2001.
To learn more about David and Motz Studios, please visit: https://www.motzstudios.com/
Forest Bathing will take place on the trails of Theodore Wirth Park from 3-5pm, followed by a sauna session from 5:30- 7pm.
Guests will have a break from 5-5:30 to eat a light snack, rest, and prepare/change for their sauna session. (Food/drink is available in the Trailhead building at Mill Valley Kitchen.)
**Previous pass packages, member discounts, and other promo codes are not valid for this session. We thank you for your understanding and cooperation!
Forest Bathing Notes:
- Guests should wear boots/shoes, clothing/gear appropriate for weather. Walk will be held in the rain and snow, but not thunderstorms or negative temperatures. Please wear/bring sunscreen if desired.
- Please bring water if you would like to have some available throughout the walk.
- Please arrive at walk location 15 minutes prior to walk to allow for check in and walk overview. Meet at outside at the sauna.
- Late arrivals cannot be accommodated due to the immersive nature of the program.
- This is a TECH-FREE experience, so please leave mobile phones in car for duration of walk.
- Each session is capped at 7 people with no overlap in between sessions.
- The sauna will be located next to the Trailhead building.
- Plan on extra time–the park is very busy at this time of year. Parking is usually full at the Trailhead, but there are spots in the parking lot at the Chalet and it’s a quick walk!
- Due to Covid, locker rooms are closed this year.
- Restrooms are available in the Trailhead or plan on either coming ready to sauna or you can change inside the Forge.
- Masks, footwear, and shirts are required inside the Trailhead building.
- Masks required in the changing area of the Forge
– Bathing suit (required)- Water bottle & water – 2 Towels – one to sit on and one to use after your session. Your sitting towel should be long enough to place your feet on the towel as well. There are hooks in the hot room to hang your sitting towel between rounds. – Flip flops
612 Sauna Society is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for all members, guests, and staff. Our goal is to mitigate the potential for transmission of COVID-19 within our facility and our community. This will require cooperation of guests, members and staff to comply with protocols to keep the sauna safe.
- All guests using the sauna are required to show proof of complete Covid vaccination or a negative Covid test 72 hours prior to their sauna session.
- All hosts will be required to show proof of complete Covid vaccination upon employment/volunteer agreement.
- Stay home if you’re feeling sick or if you’ve been exposed.
- The sauna is open by reservation only. Reservations are operating at reduced capacity.
- Please arrive no more than five minutes before your time slot and wait outside until directed by a host.
- Anytime you are not inside the hot room, we strongly recommend wearing a mask.
- Mask use is required inside the changing area for any guest that is not vaccinated and presents a negative COVID test.
- For vaccinated guests, masks are optional in the changing area, but highly recommended.
- You must use your own towel and water, and a towel is required for sitting on the bench inside the hot room.
- During cool downs outside, we require guests to maintain social distancing with those outside of their household, including hosts.
- Please clean your hands using hand sanitizer before entering the Forge.
- We will not accept walk-ins—you must make your reservation in advance.
- The sauna hot room will be kept at a minimum temperature of 180F to ensure a sterile environment. Even so, all people using the sauna are doing so at their own risk and will not hold 612 Sauna Society liable should they contract COVID.
- Staff cleans and sanitizes equipment per disinfecting checklist between each reservation.
SAUNA SOCIETY CODE
The Sauna Society Code has been identified to ensure that all guests have an enjoyable sauna and can be immersed in the health benefits of the activity, and can be summarized as follows:
At the 612 Sauna Society, our intention is to support a welcoming, respectful, and inclusive space to enjoy the health and community benefits of sauna.
We are aware of ourselves, each other, and our surroundings to ensure a safe environment for all sauna guests. We are aware of our own health and safety, and we are also aware of the health of other guests.
We and our guests believe that everyone is equally worthy of love, respect, and dignity. We believe that differences of race, age, culture, religion, politics, sexual orientation, gender, gender variance, body shapes and sizes, nationalities, (and beyond) are simply part of being human and all are welcome here.
In short, we endeavor to treat each other as a family—one that loves and respects each other. Thank you for helping us create a safe and comfortable space for all.
Please arrive hydrated so you can enjoy the full benefits of your time on the bench.
Sauna promotes healthy blood flow by activation of the thermoregulatory system. Practicing full “rounds” will provide the full health benefits. A round consists of 10-20 mins in the hot room (your body will tell you when your time is up), followed by a cool-down period outside. Letting your body cool down between rounds by relaxing and cooling off at the rinse station will increase your circulation and provide the full physical and mental benefit of the experience. A typical sauna session consists of 3-4 rounds of this hot-cold treatment.
Learn more about the health benefits of Sauna here.
– Alcohol is not permitted.
– The Sauna will be staffed by a trained host. If you have further questions about Sauna, The Forge or the 612 Sauna Society, please ask a member of the Stoker Team, or email us at email@example.com.
– See you on the bench!